Bose and Sonos are big names in quality sound and audio equipment. Their speakers are unrivaled; they have some of the best features you could possibly want in a speaker system. Whether you are streaming your favorite music while lounging at the pool on a hot summer’s day or you need great sound for your home cinema, a smart speaker can be an absolute game changer in producing a top-quality sound that adds to your listening experience.
Choosing between Bose and Sonos speakers might seem impossible. Read on to find out more information about each of these fantastic smart speakers as we review two of the best speakers currently available in the wireless speaker market for home use by looking at their features, the pros, and cons of each, and if they are worth the extra spend.
- Bose Smart Speaker 500
- Sonos Move
- The Bose Smart Speaker 500 Vs. The Sonos Move Speaker: The Winner
- The Winner
Bose Smart Speaker 500
Bose Music and its related products are a relatively big name in audio equipment and have a wide range of premium sound speakers and other audio components available. While their products are more expensive than your smaller brands, their features, design, and pairing abilities make them worth their rather hefty price tag.
Features of the Bose Speaker
Bose home wireless speakers are considered among the best in terms of audio quality, powerful sound, and battery life. Here are a few other features that you can enjoy when you purchase Bose sound equipment for your home:
- Full crisp stereo sound from just one speaker
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity
- Controlled with voice, touch, or via the Bose mobile application
- Connected with a power cord
- AirPlay-compatible speaker
Bose home speakers are sleek and elegant in design and bring a touch of modern design to your home. Available in black or silver, these speakers will blend in with the rest of your sound or audio-visual equipment rather than stick out like a sore thumb.
The speaker has six preset buttons as well as a display panel that shows exactly what is being played and has a hidden microphone that allows the user to control the speaker with voice commands.
Bose’s latest offering has two custom drivers built into the unit. Each driver points in the opposite direction, bouncing the sound off the interior walls of the speaker and creating a stereo effect. The brilliant sound quality of the Bose speaker is both crisp and clear and makes for the ultimate listening experience.
You can stream your favorite playlist or connect the speaker to your home theater system to create a mini cinema right in your own living room that will rival most wireless surround sound systems.
Other Useful Features
The Bose Smart Speak 500 has the ability to make or take calls thanks to its pairing ability with Alexa or Amazon Echo. Use voice prompts to call anyone on your contact list or answer that important phone call while cooking or lazing around on the couch.
Other useful features that you can enjoy when you choose Bose products are easy setup and pairing. Simply add your Amazon or Apple account information and it will instantly sync your playlists and preferences.
While the speaker is not portable, the sound range provides crisp sound whether you are indoors or outdoors.
Pros and Cons of the Bose Smart Speaker 500
Let’s now focus on a few of the pros of the Bose Smart Speaker 500:
- Bose home speakers allow you to add your Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Amazon Echo, and Spotify or Amazon Music accounts to your speaker, allowing easy syncing and integration of your existing playlists and preferences.
- Great sound is provided from a small, compact speaker with an array of connectivity options.
- It has user-friendly controls and a clear onboard screen to view what is being played.
- The speaker has multiple microphones for clear and easy voice detection.
- You get to enjoy a sleek, elegant design.
- It is compatible with an easy-to-use mobile application that can be used in Wi-Fi mode or via Bluetooth.
Cons of the Bose Smart Speaker 500:
- The speaker comes with a hefty price tag.
- Bose speakers do not pair with SoundTouch products.
If you want a speaker system that is easy to use, pairs with your current music accounts, and provides crisp, clear sound for ambient listening, then Bose is a good option. Though the price may be one of the negative aspects of Bose home products, the features and technology make the Bose Smart Speaker 500 worth every penny.
The second smart speaker system that we will be looking at is the Sonos Mode. Sonos is also a well-known name in audio and sound equipment, and the range of wireless speakers is a worthy competitor against the Bose Smart Speaker 500. Let’s look at what makes this speaker unique and check out what features you can expect from the Sonos Move portable speaker.
Features of the Sonos Move
Sonos speakers can also be controlled by a user-friendly mobile application, giving you more control of the security and features of the speaker. Use a single speaker or sync your speakers together to create a surround sound with your connected speakers.
The speakers are battery-operated and portable and have a battery life of almost 10 hours. Simply plug your speaker into a USB port and charge it as necessary.
Available in black or white, the Sonos Move speaker has a sleek design. Weighing 6.95 pounds, it is heavier than other speakers but is sturdy and built to last. The casing is weather and dust-resistant and can withstand both hot and cold temperatures. A handy carrying handle makes it easier to move your speaker around to any part of your home.
Sonos Move speakers have a single driver, which produces mono sound. While stereo sound is a better option, mono sound is all you really need if you are going to be streaming music. They are not recommended for use in a home cinema if you are looking for that surround sound listening experience.
The speakers can be used both indoors and outdoors and have a rechargeable battery and carry handle, making the speaker portable. This convenience is ideal for a summer pool party.
Sonos Move is voice-activated and has built-in noise-canceling technology that allows your voice commands to be heard over whatever sound you are playing through the speaker. There is a mid-woofer housed in the cabinet, which creates quality sound output.
Other Useful Features
Let’s look at just a few more of the features that you will find when you buy a Sonos Move speaker.
- It hosts a mid-woofer for that deep bass sound.
- TruePlay tuning automatically balances the sound according to where you are and the type or genre of music you are listening to.
- The battery lasts up to three years or 900 charges through the charging base.
- The batteries are rechargeable and replaceable.
- Sonos Move is a solid speaker that is durable and long-lasting but is classed as a heavy speaker.
Pros and Cons of the Sonos Move Speaker
Reviewing the pros and cons of a product (as reviewed by other users) is always a good idea. Let’s see just what the pros and cons are of the Sonos Move speaker.
Here are a few pros of the Sonos Move speaker:
- Integration with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant for wireless audio connectivity is easy.
- The speaker can be controlled via a mobile application.
- TruePlay technology creates a fresh, crisp sound.
- The battery is replaceable.
- The device is fully portable.
- It is sturdy and weather resistant.
- The speaker pairs well with other Sonos products (two or more speakers can be synced).
Cons of the Sonos Move Speaker:
- It is expensive.
- While the speaker is sturdy, it is bulky and heavy to carry around.
- The sound quality is not as good as it could be for the price.
- It cannot be used to create a mini home cinema as it only has mono sound outputs.
- Sonos does not support Apple Music.
The Sonos Move battery-operated speaker is great for using your favorite music streaming service. However, it is rather limited in what it can be used for. The speaker pairs well with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, but cannot be used to make or take calls. Sonos Move speakers are among the most expensive on the market.
The Bose Smart Speaker 500 Vs. The Sonos Move Speaker: The Winner
The Bose and Sonos ranges of speakers provide the same function but are vastly different in their sound or audio quality, price, and features. If you are an avid music lover, you will know that sound quality is of the highest importance when choosing a speaker. Here is a quick audio buying guide to help you make your decision.
Let’s make a quick comparison of these differences in a bid to crown the ultimate winner.
Sonos: Mono sound output, mid-range subwoofer
Bose: Stereo sound output, dual drivers/woofer
Sonos: Battery-operated, batteries are rechargeable, batteries can be replaced
Bose: Power supplied by a power cord, speaker will not work unless it is plugged into an electrical source
Sonos: Available in black or white, speaker has no display screen
Bose: Available in black or silver, speaker has a useful display screen
Sonos: Controlled by mobile application
Bose: Controlled by mobile application
Sonos: Retails for $370+
Bose: Retails for $350+
Based on the features, price, and sound quality we have listed above, there is a clear winner. Bose is cheaper, has better sound outputs and audio innovations, and has far more features than the Sonos Move speaker. While the Bose speaker is not portable or battery-operated, it is far more versatile in terms of what it can be used for, which is a big factor when choosing a speaker.