Don’t let the title of this blog mislead you. While we are referring to the future of headphone technology, the future is not as distant as it may seem. On the contrary, in some instances we are already living it, we just don’t know it yet.
Consider how headphones, earbuds, and even smart speakers have evolved in the last few years. From rudimentary wireless options to the impressive, booming sound offered by true wireless devices, things have certainly changed and will continue to do so for as long as we live.
The reason for this is fairly simple, the digital world is evolving at a rapid pace. Faster than we ever could have anticipated. While this may be a terrifying thought for some, it is something that truly excites the tech junkies of the world. Let’s unpack why.
The future is already here
The future of earbuds and headphones technology, as well as smart speakers and other sound devices, has already been shaped. We’ve already made the move to wireless devices:
- Wireless earbuds
- Wireless headphones
- Bluetooth speakers
- QI wireless charging
- Smartphones (for those familiar with the old-fashioned landline)
It’s about more than just going wireless though, although we can anticipate seeing more and more wireless devices form part of our daily living. It’s about the technology used within these wireless devices.
Building the future one step at a time
From the powerful batteries used to the sound drivers, actual devices, and even the way in which these portable devices are stored.
When it comes to headphones technology and even the technology used in other devices such as the 16.2mm neodymium drivers in Cleer’s ARC open ear true wireless earbuds for impeccable sound or beamforming technology that provides a 3D sound experience in some of the best smart speakers, all of this is setting the foundation for an incredible sound future
Another aspect worth considering when it comes to futuristic sound is the use of virtual assistants. Many sound devices now offer compatibility with Siri, Alexa, and Google Assistant.
The idea behind this is to offer the user an even more simplified life by digitizing basic tasks. Need to remember something, research something or even control your smart home? Look no further.
With a simple click of a button, you can use voice commands to get things done. No-fuss, no need to type, and easy enough to do even if your hands are full. This feature has become increasingly popular, and in the future, we will see how much more it is capable of.
The top 5 futuristic features that we’re already loving
When it comes to futuristic features, these five are a must-have when investing in any new technology:
- Wireless technology for ease of use and portability
- Smart assistant compatibility and enhanced connectivity to facilitate this function
- Long-lasting battery life to keep up with the demands of your lifestyle
- Powerful sound drivers and subwoofers for booming sound
- Innovative, comfortable design that fits in with you
What we’re hoping to see in the next 5 years when it comes to headphones
Ah, the million-dollar question and the reason behind this article. Well, given the features we’ve already mentioned, we need to build on what is already there when it comes to the features that we’re looking for.
So, in keeping with the number five, here are five things we are looking forward to seeing take over the tech scene.
- A more responsive smart assistant functionality, being able to handle more complex tasks – although this ties in with smart devices in general.
- Sweatproof earcups, there’s nothing worse than your ears getting uncomfortable and hot when wearing them for hours on end.
- Wireless charging functionality, while earbuds are already using this, headphones are yet to embrace this.
- A more flexible band design, the adjustable Alice Band has been great, but it’s time to go for comfort and functionality, things need to change.
- On the topic of design, how about accommodating the folks wearing glasses? It gets tricky and uncomfortable very quickly.
What do you think the future of headphones holds?
With everything we’ve discussed, it’s easy to see how innovative headphones have become, and more importantly, how things will be changing in the not-so-distant future.
Everything is changing – and rapidly. The only thing left to wonder, is how will headphone designers and manufacturers keep up with it all? Are there things that you want them to address? Let us know below!
A passion for writing and ongoing research projects gives Catherine an incredibly broad knowledge of all things. She has authored an incredible number of articles and can be found in the wilderness when not attached to technology or listening to podcasts.
This post was last updated on 2023-03-21 / Some images from Amazon Product API & some links may be affiliate links which may earn us a commission from purchases.