Tips for a Great Outdoor Movie Night
Here are some great tips for throwing the ultimate backyard movie night at home.
1. Think about seating. Yeah, lawn chairs and picnic tables are great, but we like to go all out. Outdoor rugs are a great place to start. Set up as many as you need for your guests in your outdoor space. Then, bring out the pillows, blankets, camping chairs, bean bag chairs, anything you need to get comfortable. The rugs create a protective barrier so you don’t have to worry about your pillows and things getting ruined. Plus, they make cleanup easy since you can just shake them off and spray them with the hose at the end of the night.
2. Don’t forget the practical stuff, like extension cords. You’ll need to power the projector, laptop, speakers, and lights for your outdoor theater. It’s also always a good idea to have extras, too, just in case.
3. Pick the right movie. How awesome would it be to watch a crowd favorite movie like Star Wars, outside, in the dark?
4. Go all out on the food. There are a lot of ways you can go with this. Some people prefer the classic movie route, with popcorn and candy. Set up a concession table and let everyone help themselves to their favorite junk food. Or, you can stick with an outdoorsy theme and have a cookout with hot dogs and hamburgers, and a s’mores station after it gets dark.
5. As for drinks, you can just set out camping coolers filled with ice and your favorite cans of soda or beer. We like to be a bit more formal, if you will, and use a large galvanized steel tub instead.
6. Use the best equipment. There is nothing more frustrating about hosting a backyard movie night only to realize that your setup isn’t quite what you’d hoped it would be. The most important part of an outdoor movie is the backyard movie screen. It truly is the centerpiece of the night and we recommend getting one that won’t sag, crease, or blow over. If you’re looking for a good one, check out some of our favorites below.
We love this one from Elite Screens and, yes, it is indeed the “yard master.” The 100-inch diagonal screen with 16:9 aspect ratio delivers the perform backyard movie screen experience, and the simple silver aluminum frame is easy to set up – it doesn’t even require any tools.
The screen is made for 4K Ultra HD suitable for 3D projection. It features a 180-degree viewing angle and has a black backing to prevent light penetration, giving you a better viewing experience with brighter colors.
Everything stores nicely away in the included carrying bag, which is super convenient. Just pack it up and put it in the garage until next time.
See the Elite Screens Yard Master 2 tuner on Amazon
Another great backyard movie screen is this one from VANKYO. There’s a lot to love about the quality here. It has a crease-free surface and a wide 160-degree viewing angle that delivers a sharp image with true colors.
Setup is easy, too. Just use the metal holes around the edge with nails, hooks, ropes, or double-sided tape. There are two ropes and 16 hooks included to help you figure out the best setup for you.
This one supports rear projection, too, so if you have a lot of problems with shadows, just project from the back. The screen is made out of polyester and spandex, which means it’s super easy to clean using mild soap and water.
See the VANKYO StayTrue Projector Screen tuner on Amazon
If an inflatable screen is more your thing, we recommend this Mega Movie Screen from EasyGo. One of the surprising things about this one is that it’s so easy to set up. It comes with everything you need, including an air blower, rope, ground stakes, and tie-downs. Once you get the hang of it, you can have it up and running in as little as two minutes.
The screen is made of 100 percent polyester that’s waterproof and easy to clean. Despite its impressive size, this screen is easy to travel with, which means you can take it from your backyard to a campground or beach.
See the EasyGo Products 14' Inflatable Mega Movie Screen tuner on Amazon
This outdoor screen from Vamvo takes less than five minutes to set up, thanks to the convenient foldable, lightweight stand. It comes with a carrying case so you can easily store everything and take it to other places and, honestly, we’re kind of impressed by how small it can fold down.
This screen is 120 inches in diameter with a 16:9 aspect ratio, and there are ropes on each side so you can secure the screen in windy weather. Vamvo also covers this screen with a two-year warranty, and if you’re not satisfied, you can return or exchange it within three months of purchase.
See the Vamvo Outdoor Indoor Projector Screen tuner on Amazon
Finally, we recommend this 135-inch projection monitor from JWSIT. It’s made of premium PVC that won’t wrinkle, it’s durable, and it’s easy to clean, making it perfect for outdoor use. The black backing is ideal because it means you don’t have to worry about light sneaking through, ruining the picture quality.
The lightweight aluminum frame features metal snaps and fits together in only a few minutes with no tools required. It also comes with ground stakes, rigging cords, and support rings so you can be sure the wind won’t blow it over. Everything fits into a soft, padded carrying bag that’s convenient for storage or travel.
See the JWSIT Projector Screen with Stand tuner on Amazon
The Best Movie Night Ever
There you have it, everything you need to know about having the ultimate movie night, right in your own backyard.
This post was last updated on 2021-04-22 / Some images from Amazon Product API & some links may be affiliate links which may earn us a commission from purchases.