You might want to enjoy some music or watch a movie on your big screen Smart TV. The problem is, the movie or music is on your phone and you might not have a Chromecast or similar. Hmm…
The good news is you can connect your mobile phone to your Television – if you have an Android Smartphone and a Smart TV.
Today, most Smart TV’s contain a USB port that enables people to connect their devices via USB.
With a few simple steps, you can enjoy the content on your Smartphone as a part of your home theatre.
There will be two-parts to this article:
- Setting Up your Smartphone
- Setting Up the TV
Setting up your Smartphone (Android)
If your smartphone has the debugging mode “on” you can skip this part and jump to the next section. For others, follow the guide.
- Go to settings>About
- Press on software info
- Repeatedly press on “Build Number”, there will be a pop-up message stating that “You are now a developer.
- Go back to the setting’s menu>Developer Options
- Turn “On” the developer Options
- Then turn on “Debugging”
Setting Up Your TV
If you have the debugging mode “enabled” on your smartphone you can now start setting up your TV.
- To connect your mobile phone to your home theatre insert one end of the USB cable to the USB port of your Smart TV and the other end to your mobile.
- Turn on the TV.
- Press the Home button on your TV remote.
- Go to Media.
- There will be a Menu containing Photo, Music, Movie, and Text displayed on your TV screen.
- There will also be an option to select the SD card of your phone.
- Select the SD card using the arrow keys, and press enter.
It will take you to your phone’s storage from where you can access your songs and videos and play them directly to you TV, and then your Home Theatre in theory.
Tips: If your Smart TV doesn’t contain a USB port you can try to use an HDMI-to-USB adapter to add a USB port to the TV.
If this doesn’t work, don’t worry, we’ll cover some other methods to connect your Smartphone to your Home Theatre over the coming posts.
Check out some other articles to set up a perfect Home Theatre
A passion for writing and ongoing research projects gives Catherine an incredibly broad knowledge of all things. She has authored an incredible number of articles and can be found in the wilderness when not attached to technology or listening to podcasts.